Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Microsoft Office Free Alternatives

The price of Microsoft Office is expensive for the average user of a computer, and where there is a need there always seems to be a better or cheaper product that comes out. There is a well organized program called OpenOffice and there is a convenient program made by Google called Google Documents. Let me talk further about each of these programs.

OpenOffice is a FREE program that does basically everything that Microsoft Office can, which means more for your money (you paid nothing!). You would think that something free would lack the quality that Microsoft Office offers but there actually lacks none. There is almost no learning curve when switching to this program because they are basically set up the same and use the same rules on how programs work. Oracle, the maker of this program, offers an alternate to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint without skipping a beat. If you are worried about files not working on Microsoft Office, don't worry, they can be saved in the same format as Microsoft Office. If you have a computer without Microsoft Office, and you don't need to keep moving files from one computer to another, then I recommend this program. For all of the users that constantly have to find a way to move their files whether through a flash drive or e-mail, I fully recommend Google Documents


Google Documents is also FREE as long as you sign up for a Google Account for FREE. With this program you can create alternatives to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as make Drawings and Flowcharts. This has a little bit of a learning curve since this is all based in the Browser you are currently using. It is almost up to speed with the other programs but what makes this program a winner for me is the fact that it can be accessed on any computer you sign into and shared within seconds with someone else. You can also share rights to the document with someone else where you and the other person(s) can edit the file without having to send the file back and forth through e-mail. Also, you can import files from Microsoft Office and OpenOffice and export the files from the browser to be put onto Microsoft Office or OpenOffice. I am a huge fan of this since I always seem to leave my file on my computer at home. This way I have it at all times on the internet or if I am going somewhere without internet but computer access, I can export it and take it with me.

Both programs are great alternatives for Microsoft Office. They are worth it for the price and easy to use. If you have any questions please leave me a comment or reach me on the comment page.

No comments:

Post a Comment